Monday 27 April 2015

Log File Investigation Part 2 (Application Deployment Log Reading)


I mentioned that there is 57 log files just in a client folder alone. But when I ran through my lab this morning I realise it was, it was a test for you guys to spot my mistake, but obviously I fail this test myself as well :P 



My bad, well, this is more painful than I thought, 74 log files. So which log file to begin with?







The above picture flash into mind, whenever we need to start a trace software distribution.  I think it would be easier if we know the flow. Take note my workflow could be easily improvise, you may have your own flow, but this is something I have used most of the time, and it works well for me. 

It will be definitely very time consuming, if you do not know which log file to trace and look at.
In the second part of the investigation series, I will explore Application and Package deployment log files, if I have the time I will explore Software Updates (Security Updates) as well. Today I will put emphasis on Application deployment.
There will be always be an argument on using packages vs applications. The argument itself is already worthy for a page of blog. Maybe I find some time to sit down and set out the differences. Meanwhile SCCM Team Blog has written a nice article between the differences of two features back in 2012: http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2012/03/31/introducing-the-application-catalog-and-software-center-in-system-center-2012-configuration-manager.aspx

Right let us start with the action shall we? In my lab I have deployed 7-Zip as application.




You could do a right click on the header in the deployment tab, turn on Deployment and Package ID. Trust me it will be very useful in tracing your stuff when you investigate your log file later.

Next we go to our client machine to check the deployment flow and status. For those who don’t know the path of the client log files:

C:\Windows\CMM\Logs 


Next we zoom in two log files: 

  1. AppDiscovery: Records details about the discovery or detection of applications on client computers.
  2. AppEnforce: Records details about enforcement actions (install and uninstall) taken for applications on the client.





First, AppDiscovery log will allow you to see that the application that deployed. What it will do is that it will detect the version for the target machine. If the target machine has the product, it will proceed to uninstall it and install with the current version.




Next, AppEnforce log will let you see where is your file placed in the ccmcache folder, and how it execute the installation command. (msiexec.exe command and parameter) and the exit code for the program installation is recorded in here. Remember, exitcode: 0 will be your most pleasing code. 

Have fun investigating! :) 

SY

No comments:

Post a Comment